Compare and contrast one warm-blooded (endothermic) species and one cold-blooded (ectothermic) species
Compare and contrast one warm-blooded (endothermic) species and one cold-blooded (ectothermic) species of your choice. Each must be a vertebrate. it could be fish and/or reptile vs bird and/or mammal. Something that could be included will be
– Scientiic classiication / suborder etc / scientiic and common names of both your warm and cold-blooded vertebrate animal.
• Basic anatomy and biology of the animals. (charts, diagrams etc).
• Discoveries! History, scientists, naturalists and paleontologists / facts and cultural stories related to this animal.
• Comparative anatomy and traits and environment, are there similarities, diferences? How are these two species related? consider convergent evolution, sexual dimorphism, commensalism, environment (water/land/air), tropics/desert/countryside, behavior patterns, cladograms and tree of life (biodiversity).
• Biology: Feathers, scales and/or fur? What do modern-day scientists such as zoologists, biologists and paleontologists know about these species? Explain the skull and skeletal structure: (teeth, eye socket, jaw; feet, claws, hands, sensory organs, growth patterns etc).
Food: What did / do they eat? Prey / predator relationships.
• Fossil record: How complete is the fossil record?
• Geological timeline / when did they live? Was it during the same era/period?
• What was the environment like at the time in ancient history? Consider geological formations and where fossils were found.
• What other species of dinosaurs, plants, invertebrates/vertebrates were living at this time? Do you think there is a relationship? Consider natural selection.