ACCTG 505 Fraud Examination
Soul of Money Assignment
Overview: Both of the books you have to choose from (Soul of Money by Lynne Twist) offer a perspective about money that you may not have encountered or thought about at any depth. Over the weeks we will spend together in the course, you will read the book of your choice, and prepare your responses to the Money write-up handouts. You will be given an opportunity to think about and discuss your reactions to the ideas and perspectives presented by the authors.
Essay writing: Essays are usually written from the author’s (your) perspective and can include:
- personal recollections,
- objective and factual observations and also,
- the big picture or universal perspective that can help others “connect the dots” on the theme or topic being discussed.
- The best essays make use of all these categories, to some degree.
I have provided some links to websites that include collections of well-known or classic essays, both from the past and from current times. I recommend that you read or look over some of these examples to get a sense of what essay writing can be.
I love this quote from Robert Atwan who compiled one of the sites of “best essays” as it captures for me what a good essay is really about…
To my mind, the best essays are deeply personal (that doesn’t necessarily mean autobiographical) and deeply engaged with issues and ideas. And the best essays show that the name of the genre is also a verb, so they demonstrate a mind in process–reflecting, trying-out, essaying. Robert Atwan
Paper (Essay) Assignment:
Prepare your essay utilizing the tips above and the guidelines below.
(4-5 pages, 1.5 spacing, 12 point font, 1” margins, etc.)
Submit the essay on or before the due date designated in the Syllabus and Blackboard.
As with any “writing assignment”, you may do your best work when you allow for more than one draft of your work, so you can re-visit it, and make sure it truly says what you want to convey. TIP: Consider reading it out loud to a good friend and get their reactions!
Here are some steps you can consider to help organize and gather your ideas, reflections and thoughts about the book,
- Consider, and incorporate into your paper, the following question – Why do you think this book is part of the requirements for ACCTG 505?
- Identify messages delivered in this book that resonate with you personally. Describe how the message(s) affects you as a person.
- Identify messages delivered in this book that resonate with your interests in becoming an accounting professional. Describe how the message will influence your role as an accounting professional.
- Identify aspects of this book have influenced your study of fraud and explain how each has influenced your view of fraud, people, and organizations.
- Reflect on your view (positive or negative) regarding the value of this book in the study of accounting and business administration.