Causes of Syria’s civil war
Country Analysis Report Project
You will write a country analysis research paper (6-8 pages) that synthesizes information from primary and secondary sources and evaluates how your chosen country’s current political, social and economic conditions have been shaped by historic events. It should answer the following question:
What two or three historical factors of the last century have most directly affected the current situation in your country?
This is persuasive essay in which you need a clear argument that you are making and defending. In other words, there is no one answer to this question. You will need to decide what factors YOU think are most important, state them clearly in your thesis statement, then provide evidence to support your claims.
In thinking about how you will write your paper, you may want to consider the following questions:
1. What were the conditions in your country on the eve of WWI?
2. When/how did your country achieved independence (if at all)?
3. What were some of the major events of the post-independence era?
4. What major grievances (if any) were expressed during popular protests that have emerged over the last five years? How has the government dealt with them?
5. Since most Middle Eastern countries have a “youth bulge,” what major concerns of the youth (25 years old and under) in your country have affected its current situation?