Reading Handout for Week 10 (Part 1)
Chapter 24 – The Cold War and American Globalism
George F. Kennan
National Security Act of July 1947
North Atlantic Treaty Organization
John Foster Dulles
- Was the Cold War inevitable?
- How did the Cold War turn “hot” in Asia?
- Was the U.S. containment policy successful?
- What were the consequences of the Korean War for the United States?
- How did Dulles and Eisenhower raise the stakes in the Cold War?
- How did racism in America interfere with U.S. leader’s ability to win Cold War allies among developing nations?
- Why did relations between the Soviet Union and the United States turn hostile soon after their victory in World War II?
- When and why did the Cold War expand from a struggle over the future of Europe and central Asia to one encompassing virtually the entire globe?
- By what means did the Truman and Eisenhower administrations seek to expand America’s global influence in the late 1940’s and the 1950’s?