High-stakes testing is a rather controversial topic in the realm of education. For this discussion, your instructor will divide you into two different debate groups based on support and opposition on the topic of high-stakes testing. Review Chapter 6 to refresh your knowledge on assessments and then review the additional sources and links to review the controversy over high-stakes testing to assist in formulating your defense with support from the literature:
- Nichols, S. L. & Berliner, D.C. (2008). Why has High-Stakes Testing so Easily Slipped into Contemporary American Life? The Education Digest, 74(4), 41-48. Retrieved from the Proquest database
- Wilkins, A. (2012). Testing isn’t the problem: a robust curriculum and high-quality teaching is the answer. District Administration, (8). 40. Retrieved Ebsohost database.
Feel free to read additional literature about the topic and be sure to cite.
Consider your assigned position and formulate a defense statement that includes the following:
- Based on your research, provide at least 3 reasons for your position that is supported by the literature. You also want to provide solid examples to support each reason.
- Respond to at least one classmate that has been assigned a different position from you and offer a rebuttal which includes 2 pieces of evidence to support your opposition.
- Respond to your original post and provide your own opinion of high-stakes testing based on the evidence from the research and the responses of your classmates. Did your thinking change after reading the research and your classmates’ viewpoints? Share your concerns about high-stakes testing and how you think it may impact you as a future educator. Be sure to respond to any queries or comments posted by your instructor.