Assignment: Defense in Depth
Oftentimes, the process of implementing security opens one’s eyes to other forms of security they hadn’t thought of previously. Well, in this assignment you should experience just that. This assignment focuses on a model of implementing security in layers which in many cases requires a network that is designed accordingly. In this assignment, you are to design a network to incorporate the following:
Corporate Site (Chicago)
o All servers exist here (Web server, file server, print server, mail server, ftp server)
o Connection to the Internet (50mbps)
o 300 employees who only need access to local corporate resources and the Internet
• 1 Remote Site (8 miles away)
o 20 employees who need access to all resources at corporate plus the Internet
o Connection to the Internet (3mbps)
o Using Microsoft Visio or its open source alternative, design a network diagram, particularly with defense in depth in mind which depicts:
– All network devices used (routers, switches, hubs, firewalls, VPNs, proxies, and / or others)
– The interconnections between network devices
– The end user (client) devices (desktops, laptops)
– The Internet cloud, generically, to represent your network’s interface to the Internet
• Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
o Describe the flow of data through your network, and explain how your network design provides multiple layers of security.
o Use at least three quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
• Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
o Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
o Include charts or diagrams created in Visio or an equivalent such as Dia. The completed diagrams / charts must be imported into the Word document before the paper is submitted.
• The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
o Explain the essentials of Transmission Control Protocol / Internet Protocol (TCP / IP) behavior and applications used in IP networking.
o Identify network security tools and discuss techniques for network protection.
o Use technology and information resources to research issues in network security design.
o Write clearly and concisely about Advanced Network Security Design topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.