Elements and Principles of Design
Assignment #1 – “Elements & Principles of Design”
Note: You will submit your assignment as a PowerPoint Presentation in Discussions under, “Elements & Principles of Design – Assignment #1
Assignment Purpose: You will complete this assignment in order to show that you understand the definitions of the terms of the Elements and Principles of Design. In addition, you will be expected to use these terms in all descriptions, discussions, interpretations and analysis of visual imagery during this course.
Your Assignment – Follow the numbered and lettered steps to complete this assignment:
1) Reflect upon the Elements and Principles of Design, in the reading and as
discussed in the video and PowerPoint Presentation. You must address all
of the terms in this assignment. See a list of the terms below.
– Line – Shape – Value – Color – Texture – Space – Mass/Form
– Balance – Symmetrical – Asymmetrical – focal point – Proportion – Rhythm – Emphasis
– Harmony – Variety – Unity.
2) You are to create a PowerPoint presentation that is instructive and that
illustrates the definitions of the Elements and Principles of Design. Think of
this assignment as a means for you to teach others about these definitions
and their application when describing various objects and images.
3) Find at least 2 images per each term and discuss how your chosen
images illustrate the definition of the term. Research images, including
art and other visual objects in your environment and/or online.
4) There are 17 terms, therefore, you will have a minimum of 20 slides, 34
slides if you choose to submit 1 image per slide. You will use these slides to
illustrate your definitions, using text to further define the term and its
application(s). You may have additional slides in order to make your
presentation more effective.
NOTE: You may not use any of the same images that are used in the PowerPoint Presentation, “The Language of Visual Culture” or any other materials that are presented in this segment of the class. You are to research and find your own images that illustrate the definitions.
5) You will use brief text in your slides to further explain or illustrate how
specific visual aspects of your image(s) reflect the definition of the term.
See examples below
NOTE: Do not simply post an image with the term in text.
(Example below – The slide must have more brief explanations and information.
The slide below does not contain sufficient information.)