A. Summarize (suggested length of 1 -2 paragraphs) what Otherness means based on information learned about this subject within your course of study. (my course of study is education)
Note: The concept of the “other” goes beyond defining oneself as different from another person.
B. Read one of the literary works below:
• Melissa Algranati, “Being an Other”
• Mark Doty, Firebird
• Claude McKay, “White House”
• Sherman Alexie, “This Is What It Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona.”
C. Analyze (suggested length of at least 1 page) the work you have chosen by doing the following:
1. Explain how otherness is represented in this work.
2. Discuss the author’s perspective on otherness.
3. Identify who the other is in this work.
4. Explain what or who makes them other.
D. Imagine you are a teacher in a children’s classroom. Write a brief explanation (suggested length of at least 1 page) of how you would notice, identify, and assist a student who was experiencing otherness.
E. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.