Health care facilities are unique and have clearly defined characteristics based on the
needs of the facility or population being served. Poor design may lead to staff, visitor,
or patient stress. In large facilities, inability to find a department may lead to
frustrations and disorientation for older patients. Poor layout may also lead to staff
inefficiencies or fines because of failure to meet regulatory requirements.
Complete a floor plan of the facility that you selected in Week One. Indicate if this will
be a new facility or the renovation of an existing structure. If it is a new or existing
structure, also explain why the renovation or new facility is needed.
Open the template you chose from week one in MedSpace Designer. From that point, you will
be able to modify the template and add the information listed below.
Using your MedSpace Designer template, focus on the following environmental design
• The health care structure such as walls, doors, hallways, waiting areas, and related
• Diagnostic and treatment space equipment and location
• Customer service and amenities, such as the reception desk, bathroom, shower, vending
machine, and so forth
• Clinical support areas, such as nurse’s station, charting areas, and so forth
• Physician or dentist office space for patient consultation
• Administrative offices
• Building support, such as laundry, generator facilities, housekeeping, and so forth
• Mechanical equipment, such as space for laboratory equipment, radiology equipment, gases
such as oxygen, and suctions
• Color and noise elements
• Regulatory elements such as Occupational Safety and Health Administration and ADA
• Other elements such as IT or creative healing environmental ideas
Save your design once it is completed.
Write a 350- to 700-word summary that includes the following information:
• Reason you selected the floor plan you designed
• Any recommendations or suggestions for completing your floor plan differently—what would
you do differently next time?
• Something that you learned from doing this process and completing your own floor plan
• URL for your completed floor plan