Financial and Economic Literacy for Managers
Handout: [Week 1]
Deadline for Submission: [2pm 22 August, 2018]
Submit this coursework through the Student Portal with a Turn-it-in Report
Word Limit: 2,500 (Plus or minus 10%)
Learning outcomes assessed:
At the end of a module students will be expected to be able to:
1. Explain the principles of business and financial economics in an international context. 2. Identify and explain the impact of governmental, monetary and economic policy on decision making in a business context. 3. Describe and apply macro and micro concepts and models to business decision making. 4. Interpret financial information (external and internal) and apply to decision making within a business context. 5. Discuss the rationale and impact of decisions for business strategies to users and stakeholders. 6. Examine and discuss the relationship between theory, and application in business and financial economics in an international context.
This coursework is worth 100% of the total marks for this module.
1. Write a report that applies the business economics concepts of structure-conduct performance paradigm, growth strategy and globalisation to the Toyota Car Company.Your answer should include both the theory of these concepts and empirical evidence from the actions of the company.(600 words) (20 marks).
(Learning outcome 1 and 6)
2. Write a report that applies the business economics concepts of demand and supply, consumer behaviour, and opportunity cost to consumer demand for a normal good. Your answer should include both the theory of these concepts and hypothetical examples. (600 words) (20 marks). (Learning outcome 3 and 6)
3. Write a report that applies the business economics concepts of environmental policy, fiscal policy, supply side policies to the desire of the UK government to seek economic prosperity for the country. Your answer should include both the theory of these concepts and empirical evidence from the actions of the UK government. (600 words) (20 marks). (Learning Outcomes 2 and 6)
4. Write an essay on how firms apply the concepts of financial intermediation, financial instruments and risk and return to obtain financing for its operations and invest its profits. Your answer should include both the theory of these concepts and hypothetical examples. (600 words) (10 marks) (Learning outcomes 4 and 5)
a. Choose one financial statement from the two on GSM Learn, and calculate five (5) financial ratios, one each from the following categories– liquidity ratio, market value ratio, asset management ratio, debt management ratio and profitability ratio for the year 2016. Then analyse these ratios either by comparing it to the 2016 figures for a similar company, or the 2015 figures for the same company, to determine the health of the company in 2016 by deciding if each ratio is either, good or poor. In your answer, identify the sources of your financial statements.(8 marks). [Hint: Financial ratios.] b. Suppose that Alice has decided that she wants to pay herself £750 each year for the next three years rather than deposit these amounts in her savings account.If she can invest a lump-sum amount in a savings account that pays 6.5 percent interest per year, how much money does
FELM4026 SUMMER 2018 COURSEWORK BRIEF
GSM LONDON Page 5 of 15
Alice need to deposit today to accomplish her goal (6 marks) [Hint: Present Value.] c. Two projects being considered are mutually exclusive and have the following projected cash flows:
Years 0-5 Project A and Project B 0 year −$60,000 / −$60,000 1st year, 35,000 / 0 2nd year. 25,625 / 0 3rd year 6,000 / 0 4th year 13,000 / 0 5th year 35,000 /100,500.Table used in 3 columns and 7 rows.
If the required rate of return on these projects is 7.25 percent, which would be chosen and why? Show your calculations/explanations.(6 marks) [Hint: Net Present Value]
(100 words) (20 marks total)
(Learning outcomes 4 and 5)
End of Assignment Brief.
Please write me a report and essay format assignment the instructions is or rather given above follow them very carefully. This would be a tremendous help to me by giving the outline and guideline to this assignment.
also please make sure that you paraphrase and summarise the text with in-text citation, quotation mark as and where needed appropriately to avoid plagiarism. The text must or rather should be written and proofread for spelling mistakes,academic vocabulary,punctuation and proficient English grammar. THANK YOU ! ! in advance.please do your best, I can be contacted if needed at communication platform.
below are some useful sources that you may find useful in completion of this assignment. I sincerely think you will find them handy, I prefer you use this sources with your own research materials as combination,referencing or work source cited should be executed in Harvard style in alphabetical order on separate break page.
Author(s) Title Edition Date Publisher
John Sloman and Elizabeth Jones Essential Economics for Business Third/
Fourth 2014 Pearson
Peter Atrill Financial Management for Decision Makers Seventh 2014 Pearson
Peter Atrill and Eddie McLaney Accounting and Finance for Non-specialists Eighth/ Ninth 2015 Pearson
Eddie McLaney Business Finance: Theory and Practice Tenth 2014 Pearson
Scott Besley and Eugene F. Brigham Principles of Finance Sixth 2015 Cengage
Peter Atrill and Eddie McLaney Management Accounting for Decision Makers Eighth 2015 Pearson
BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ )
Bloomberg BusinessWeek (http://www.businessweek.com/ )
Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/ )
The Economist (http://www.economist.com/ )
Financial Times (http://www.ft.com/home/uk )
Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml )
Office for National Statistics (http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/index.html )
The Sunday Times – Business section (http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/business/ )
Wall Street Journal (http://uk.wsj.com/home-page )