Foundations of Global Business
Individual Assignment Autumn 2016
The Individual report comprises 50% of your Total Module Mark.
Your report will be marked both on the structure and format of your report and on the findings. Marks will be determined by your ability to:
· understand and interpret the question
· apply information and lessons learnt during the semester
· research information and use it to answer the questions
· express information and arguments in a logical and well structured manner
The report is to be 2,000 words excluding the Cover sheet, Contents page and References.
The format of the report is to be:
· Cover sheet including name of student, seminar tutor, date of submission, and word count
· Executive summary
· Contents page
· Findings (main body of the report)
· References (there is to be a minimum of three sources and these are to be referenced in Harvard format)
· Reports should be word processed in 11 point type and with 1.5 line spacing
· Run a spell check before you submit – marks will be deducted for poor spelling and unprofessional presentation
· You should write in the style of a business report, not an essay, and should address your report to your client
· You are free to use bullet points, charts and graphs (where appropriate), headings and subheadings.
In 2016, in the UK, for the first time in 30 years a new newspaper was launched – ‘New Day’, however it closed after just 10 weeks. In the same year another British newspaper, The Independent, ceased to be printed, and is now only available online. Yet in India, in 2015, the printed newspaper industry grew by 8%. How is it possible that the fortunes of the same industry can be so very different in the two countries?
The purpose of your assignment is for you to answer all of the following questions:
1. Describe a PEST analysis, its purpose and the business benefit. (5%)
2. Conduct a PEST analysis for the newspaper industry in the UK and in India. (40%)
3. Write an analysis of why the New Day newspaper failed. (25%)
4. You have been asked to launch a monthly newsletter for Regent’s University. Using the 4Ps, describe the Product i.e. format, content, audience etc; Price; Place and how you will launch your product i.e. Promotion. (30%)
A good place to start your research is The Economist – this has covered the topic of newspapers and their future several times.