Task 3: Patient Safety and Trust
Risk management, quality improvement, and compliance programs have discrete applications within a healthcare organization, yet they have complementary goals. The motive for these programs is to improve all aspects of the patient experience. There are external regulations and requirements imposed on all organizations, and these regulations are controlled by the internal processes designed by each organization.
There is an expectation of care and trust between patients and their healthcare providers. An organization needs to be vigilant in all circumstances, particularly those involving patient safety.
Your submission must be your original work. No more than a combined total of 30% of the submission and no more than a 10% match to any one individual source can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly. Use the Turnitin Originality Report available in Taskstream as a guide for this measure of originality.
You must use the rubric to direct the creation of your submission because it provides detailed criteria that will be used to evaluate your work. Each requirement below may be evaluated by more than one rubric aspect. The rubric aspect titles may contain hyperlinks to relevant portions of the course.
A. Analyze the attached “Compliance Management Scenario” by doing the following:
1. Describe the five mistakes made in the scenario.
2. Determine whether the mistakes described in part A1 were a violation of organizational compliance, a legal concern, or both.
3. Describe one specific solution the compliance officer and Sue, the manager, should implement to prevent reoccurrences of each of the five mistakes described in part A1.
B. Explain how the manager of a health information management (HIM) department could assume a leadership role and teach compliance behaviors to the clinic’s staff members in order to mitigate legal risk within a healthcare organization.
1. Explain why it is important for staff to understand patient authorization and how this ensures patient safety and trust.
2. Explain protocols for release of protected health information (PHI) and how it protects patient privacy.
C. Acknowledge sources, using APA-formatted in-text citations and references, for content that is quoted, paraphrased, or summarized.