The PhD in Health Policy and Management trains students to visualize the greatest degree of professional responsibilities. The PhD is definitely an academic research degree emphasizing the in-depth expertise essential for an investigation career. It emphasizes the combination of theory and research inside a focused substantive area (cognate). Including classroom instruction, non-credit workshops, independent study, studies, academic apprenticeships, and interaction with faculty, fellow students, along with other professionals within and outdoors the UCLA campus.
Because each student has unique and particular interests, doctorate training is individualized towards the needs and interests from the particular student.
The doctorate program encompasses the next major elements and stages:
- Course operate in the main and cognate/minor fields
- Written qualifying examination
- Proposal for that dissertation
- Dental qualifying examination around the proposal for that dissertation (advancement to candidacy)
- Dental defense from the dissertation
Students should have no less than 17 courses (72 units). A lot of students are needed to focus on a specific section of study, a cognate, which requires additional coursework. Of those, 12-13 courses (48-52 units) are needed, 5 courses (20 units) are electives, and remaining units might be satisfied with a lot more electives or in the cognate coursework.
Needed COURSES (12-13 courses/48-52 units)
- HLT POL 200A: Health Systems Organization and Financing, I
- HLT POL 200B: Health Systems Organization and Financing, II
- HLT POL 226A: Readings in Health Service Research (2 Units)
- HLT POL 226B: Readings in Health Service Research (2 Units)
- HLT POL 227B: Special Topics in Health Services
- HLT POL 225A: Health Services Research Design (6 Units)
- HLT POL 225B: Health Services Research Design (6 Units)
- HLT POL 423 Practices of Evaluation in Health Services
- HLT POL 237C: Health Services Research Methodology (6 Units)
- BIOSTATS 201A: Applied Regression
- BIOSTATS 201B: Applied Regression
- EPIDEM 100 or perhaps an equivalent opening survey course or show evidence of a similar graduate-level opening epidemiology course that fits the needs to have an Miles per hour, MS, PhD, or MD program
- One (or even more) additional statistics course (200-level or over) ONLY this extra statistics course might be adopted a Pass/No Pass basis. Other courses Should be graded.
ELECTIVE COURSES (5 courses/20 units)
- Students select four or even more elective courses
Cognate studies give students a depth of understanding inside a field that’s complementary to Health Policy and Management. Students are needed to consider PhD level coursework that satisfies the needs with a minimum of one cognate. Students select a cognate from areas for example financial aspects, epidemiology, healthcare outcomes research, business behavior, and public policy studies, or may design their very own cognate having a faculty member.
Students generally go ahead and take qualifying exam following the completing all course work, usually at first of the third year of doctorate studies. The objective of the Written Qualifying Exam would be to prepare and evaluate students’ understanding and use of numerous areas, and also to assess students’ readiness to attempt independent research.
The dissertation proposal describes the student’s preferred section of research, the techniques that’ll be accustomed to examine relevant data and just how it’ll offer the dissertation findings, and explain the dissertation’s contribution towards the field.
Dissertation Proposal Defense (Dental Qualifying Examination)
The objective of the dissertation proposal defense (also referred to as the dental qualifying examination) is twofold: 1) to judge the study being suggested for that dissertation and a pair of) to evaluate the student’s capability to conduct these studies. The defense concentrates on the proposal for that dissertation.
The dissertation reports the outcomes from the research conducted in line with the proposal. The dissertation should demonstrate the scientific merit from the work itself and also the student’s mastery over its substance and techniques. It has to show a student is capable of conduct independent research.
The ultimate dental examination is really a defense from the dissertation. The objective of this examination is twofold: 1) to judge the study conducted for that dissertation 2) to evaluate the student’s capability to conduct independent research. Test concentrates on the dissertation.
Time For You To Degree
The PhD is usually acquired in four to five years.
Additionally to meeting the University’s Minimum Needs. the department of Health Policy and Management recommends a master’s degree in public places health or any other appropriate graduate degree inside a related field having a grade-point average with a minimum of 3.5 for graduate studies. Additionally, while not needed for admission, research experience is observed favorably when competing applications are judged. Students don’t need to identify a college mentor to be able to make an application for this program.
Applicants are just accepted within the Fall. Applicants who would like to be looked at for those educational funding factors must have their applications, letters, transcripts and official GRE scores at the college of Public Health by December 1 of the season preceding the preferred entrance year.
The applying process has three steps. You have to:
- Submit an on-line application and spend the money for application fee at SOPHAS ,
- Submit a web-based application and spend the money for application fee at UCLA Graduate Admissions. and
- Mail needed academic documents and test scores to SOPHAS and also to UCLA’s School of Public Health.
Once we receive a lot more qualified applicants for that program than you will find available spaces, meeting the minimum needs for admission doesn’t ensure admittance to this program.
Tuition and Charges
Total new student mandatory charges for 2015-16 for residents are $15,929.74. For brand new student non-residents, total mandatory charges are $31,031.74. Charges are susceptible to change and really should be utilized for helpful information only. Which are more current charges and a lot of fee breakdown, go to the registrar’s office .
Please visit FSPH Financial Possibilities page for info on awards, scholarships, training possibilities, employment, summer time internship funding, and want-based aid. Please be aware that possibilities listed under ‘Summer Internship Funding’ are just relevant to Miles per hour students.
Many graduates from the program pursue research and teaching careers in healthcare management and health policy analysis.
Faculty within this Department
Faculty within the Department of Health Policy and Management have knowledge of health policy, business theory and behavior, management, financial aspects and pharmacoeconomics, medicine, law, sociology, political science and statistics.
For a summary of faculty within this department, please click the link .
To look all School of Public Health faculty people by name, department or specialization, click the link .
- Department of Health Policy and Management Website
- Course descriptions for courses within the Department of Health Policy and Management
- All Fielding School of Public Health course descriptions
- To see the departmental guide for those programs in Health Policy and Management, download the HPM Doctorate Guide (below).
Who to make contact with to learn more
To learn more or questions, please contact Anna Lim at firstname.lastname@example.org or 310.825.7863.
*This post is should have been a summary, and really should be utilized for helpful information only. Needs, course choices along with other elements may change, which overview might not list all information on this program. Which are more up-to-date information, please consult the registrar’s office.
* Admission needs listed are Departmental needs, and therefore are additionally towards the University’s minimum needs. Many programs receive more applicants than could be accepted, so meeting the minimum needs for admission doesn’t ensure admission. Every effort is built to ensure minimum admissions needs are current – which are more up-to-date info on the University’s minimum needs, check out the UCLA Graduate Division .
** Charges are susceptible to change and really should be utilized for helpful information only. Which are more current charges and a lot of fee breakdown, go to the registrar’s office .
PhD in Health Policy and Management for action
Doctorate student Andrew Siroka aims to advertise a far more scientific and price-effective method of allocating scarce global public health sources.
Sandhya Shimoga, a Ph.D. in Health Policy and Management traces her curiosity about public health to her upbringing in a tiny college town in southern India where poverty and success exist alongside.