Final Essay Instructions
Essay length is to be approximately 2,000 words in length. A variation of up to 10% is permitted. Neither footnotes nor citations count towards word count however quotations are included.
The essay will be assessed according to the following criteria:
• Ability to analyse significant social and political influences on the development of various western philosophical traditions.
• An understanding of the social, cultural and political context to the development of the idea of the west.
• An understanding of the historical circumstances and empirical details of the era under investigation.
• An understanding of the political, cultural, social and philosophical issues facing the practice of historical research and historiography.
• Utilization of a wide variety of source materials in research.
• Correct citation of sources and construction of bibliography.
• A creative and innovative approach to the topic as framed in their chosen essay question.
• The ability to critically evaluate and apply their sources in answering their question.
Students are to formulate an essay question with their tutor on one of the topics covered in the weekly lecture topics and readings.
They must be able to phrase this as a question which can be answered in the course of the essay.
They must also have their specific question topic approved by their tutor.
Some suggested questions might be –
• What were the major factors which led to the collapse (or rise) of the Western Roman Empire?
• To what extent was the industrial revolution based on the philosophy of the Enlightenment?