Environmental Health & Safety Q’s
1) What types of management system issues are targeted in the planning process of Z10 section 4.0? Provide an example of each issue.
2) Most organizations hire contractors in some capacity, either to aid in production work or to provide ancillary services, such as cleaning, maintenance, remodeling, and food service. Discuss how a contractor’s operations could adversely affect the health and safety of an organization’s employees. What procedures should be in place to prevent any adverse effects?
3) Compose a safety policy statement for your current organization (or an organization for which you previously worked), following the guidelines in the course textbook. Be certain it is specific to the organization and not just a series of generic statements.
4) What are some actions that should be taken by a safety practitioner when an organization’s safety culture starts to drift into a negative state? Provide examples that illustrate your point.
5) Explain the differences between authority, responsibility, and accountability as they apply to OSH program management. In your discussion, provide examples of how your current organization (or a past one) implements these concepts. Is it effective? How can you tell? What recommendations do you have for improvement?
6) A recent OSHA inspection in your machine shop identified several serious deficiencies in occupational noise control. Serious violations were issued citing 29 CFR 1910.95(i)(2) and 29 CFR 1910.95(k). Using the PDCA framework, develop a plan that will correct the deficiencies and ensure that the violations do not recur.