Reflect: Address the following in your post. Take the role of a professional utilizing applied behavioral science methods to help clients manage pain. Create a fictitious scenario in which a client is referred to you by her or his family physician for an applied psychology treatment to help manage pain. Your client has been taking prescription medications for pain management and desires to reduce the need for the medication.
Write: For your initial post:
- Identify the type of pain your client is experiencing for which applications of applied behavioral science are appropriate (e.g., arthritis, bone or joint pain, muscle pain, fibromyalgia, migraine headaches, cancer pain, post-surgery, etc.).
- Describe any psychological factors and emotional states of your client which appear to impact her or his mental and physical health (e.g., depression, anxiety, general level of satisfaction with life).
- Indicate the client’s locus of control and health motivation. Utilize terminology outlined in your reading.
- Identify any additional stressors your client is experiencing that may exacerbate her or his pain experience.
- Based on the reading, identify at least one pain management technique you believe would best reduce the pain experience in this situation.
- Examine the application of your selected pain management technique in relation to the same situation within a different culture. Explain the role of the perception of pain and the impact of culture on perception of pain, identifying and usage trends of applied behavioral science unique to different groups.