Instructions for Writing the Myth, Fairy Story, or One-Act Play
A. Examine closely the stories, essays, and lectures in order to find good ideas for this creative writing assignment.
B. You will choose one of the following categories and write a 3-4 page myth, fairy story, or one-act play.
(1) Write a myth that accounts for some natural phenomena, such as the universe, the earth, the sky, a particular animal, a geographical oddity, etc.
(2) Write a myth that explains the meaning of existence and death.
(3) Write a myth or one-act play that chronicles the adventure of a radical hero.
(4) Write a modern fairy story.
(5) Write a one-act play that explores the emotions connected to a specific time when a significant truth is learned.
C. You may use first person in your myth or fairy story. If you use dialog, be sure that you format it appropriately (look up “dialogue,” sometimes spelled “dialog,” in your Little, Brown Handbook if you are not sure how to do this).
D. It is not necessary to have a Works Cited page or any parenthetical citations. This assignment is a creative story, not an essay. You will still need to follow MLA format for the heading, header, and title.