Practice: The Fall of Rome and the East-West Schism Practice Assignment
In this assignment you will complete the following steps:
1. Research: Use the content in this course and the websites provided to research the decline of the Roman Empire and its impact on Eastern and Western Europe during the postclassical era.
2. Create: Use your research findings to design a five-slide multimedia presentation summarizing how the fall of Rome affected Eastern and Western Europe, including the resulting schism between the churches of Constantinople and Rome.
3. Synthesize: Write a paragraph synthesizing your research findings and describing the major effects of the fall of Rome on both Eastern and Western Europe.
This section is worth 5 points. See the scoring rubric below for more details on how you will be graded on your research. First, read back through this lesson to refresh your memory on the fall of the Roman Empire and its impact on the Byzantine Empire and medieval Europe. Then, visit three of the websites under “Research Resources” to find more detailed information on these subjects. As you conduct your research, look for answers to the following questions: Research Notes:
1. What were the key characteristics of the fall of the Roman Empire?
2. To what extent was the Byzantine Empire a continuation of the Roman Empire?
3. How did the fall of Rome affect Western Europe?
4. What was the East-West Schism?
- “Ancient Rome,” International World History Project
- “The Fall of Rome – An Author Dialogue,” Oxford University Press Author Dialogue
- “Rome’s Fall and Europe’s Rise: A View from Late Antiquity,” The Medieval Review 07.10.12
- “The Byzantine Empire,” International World History Project
- “The Middle Ages,” International World History Project
- “The Great Schism,” St. George Greek Orthodox Church
- “The Religious Relationship Between Byzantium and the West,” Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History, Metropolitan Museum of Art
This section is worth 20 points. See the scoring rubric below for more details on how you will be graded on your presentation. You will now outline a five-slide presentation on the fall of the Roman Empire and its impacts on Eastern and Western Europe. Each page in your presentation should have a particular focus and identify three main teaching points. Your first slide should serve as an introduction to your presentation, while you last slide should be a conclusion.
Use the template provided below to create your presentation. A sample slide has been provided as a hint to the types of information you should record in the template. Note: You are not required to create a full multimedia presentation; simply describe the information that each slide will contain, including title, text, and images. Your presentation should address the following:
1. Describe the major effects of the fall of Rome on both Eastern and Western Europe.
2. Analyze the extent to which the Byzantine Empire was a continuation of the old Roman Empire.
3. Analyze the ongoing relationship between Eastern and Western Europe after the fall of Rome, including the causes and effects of the schism between the churches of Constantinople and Rome.