Long term Recovery Interview Paper
The student will identify and interview a person of their choice who has been in addiction recovery for over 5 years, without relapse. Then, the student will write a paper addressing at least the following questions. You may use a pseudonym to guard confidentiality. Use as many direct quotations from the person as possible. Use lots of specific detail when asking questions and recording their answers. The student is to write the paper in “question and answer” format. Additional headings can be used as necessary. The student will use at least 5 academic references when making assertions and exercise APA style of referencing. Paper should be between 8 and 10 pages. This paper will be due on the day before the last day of class and will be posted to the platform.
*A note about format: Using the provided questions as headings in your paper is the simplest way to format this paper. You may add additional questions if you wish but the questions below are required for this assignment.
• How does the student know this person?
• What were some contributing factors that led the interviewee to use alcohol, drugs, or behaviors in excess?
• What were the circumstances that led the interviewee to believe that he/she was not in control? (Be specific.)
• How did the interviewee feel different in the beginning (first 3 weeks) of recovery?
• Talk and expand about the interviewee’s process of early (first 6 months) recovery. (See your notes for points.)
• What were the relapse triggers? How did the interviewee manage relapse risk?
• What people, places, things, and activities did/does the interviewee turn to for stability?
• How did the interviewee know that his/her life was taking a turn for the better? (Be specific.)
• How is the interviewee’s life different now?
• What does the interviewee most appreciate about recovery?
• What did the interviewee report were the most helpful or least helpful during their recovery process (treatment, groups, and/or professionals)?