GENERAL DESCRIPTION AND PURPOSE OF ASSIGNMENT:
For this assignment you will read an original scholarly article related to a psychology based topic covered in our course textbook. You will then write a report on what you read.
The purpose of this assignment is to provide an opportunity for students to:
practice finding and using reliable information sources in psychology, so that in the future you can continue to learn from recent psychology research.
help facilitate the ability to carefully consider current scholarly research theory, methodology and outcomes.
critically assess such information by comparing those research findings with other various relevant scholarly works.
learn to integrate research as supporting evidence (from our textbook and other sources as necessary) using APA style in text citations and references.
DETAILED ASSIGNMENT GUIDELINES:
Step 1 – Select a topic that interests you from our textbook and then select an appropriate, scholarly article. Use your LASC online library. If you have any doubts as to whether your selection meets these requirements, review attached document on identifying scholarly articles and ask the librarian as well.
Contact the LASC librarian well in advance (1 2 weeks) if you need help with finding an article. Note: that you may need to physically go to library if you need extra help. Plan ahead!
Here is the library link for LASC: http://libguides.lasc.edu/lasc_library
Step 2 – Make a complete photocopy or printout of the article (if it is not electronic), including the
Step 3 – Carefully read and review the article and highlight/underline important points.
Step 4 – Find additional support for facts FOR OR AGAINST THE FINDINGS IN THE ARTICLE. Use our textbook and other sources if needed. Be sure to cite in text clarifying where you retrieved any facts, ideas or theories.
Dr. Carley Zanders – Psychology 1 – Research Paper Assignment
Step 5 – Write a report on the article you selected, following the guidelines described under CONTENT. Step 6 – Turn in written report and an electronic link to your article or the entire article (if you have a
pdf version) by the due date listed in the course schedule found in the syllabus. REQUIREMENTS FOR RESEARCH ARTICLE:
• It must be an article in a scholarly (peer reviewed) psychology journal. See file attached for clarification on how to identify a scholarly, peer reviewed article.
• It must be related to the content of a topic covered in one of our textbook chapters.
• It must have a recent publication date (not before 2005).
• It must be empirical, that is, it reports on original research done by the authors. Hint: Look to see
whether it has a section that is clearly labeled “Methods” or “Procedures”. You can also ask our
librarian for help.
• It must be something that you can understand. If you feel that the article you have picked is beyond your
grasp, pick another one. You will not be able to write a good report on an article you don’t understand. CONTENT: Provide information in the following order, but write it as an essay paper, not just
answering the questions.
1. Summarize the BACKGROUND information that was available to the authors that prompted them to do the study – state why the study was done briefly. Reference the source of your information through in text citations, using the name and date system of APA style.
2. State the HYPOTHESIS or RESEARCH QUESTION of this study. A true hypothesis makes a specific prediction, and is used in experimental research. A research question might be used instead for a descriptive study.
3. Describe the METHODS used. Identify the subjects, and try to identify the type of research method (case study, naturalistic or laboratory observation, correlational study, experiment?). If it is experimental research, identify the independent and dependent variables, the experimental and control groups. Explain enough about the procedures so that your instructor knows what was done. Do not include statistical methods.
4. What were the most important RESULTS of the study? What information did they obtain? (Do not confuse this with the conclusions of the study.)
5. What was the CONCLUSION of the study? Did it support or refute the original hypothesis? What are the implications for further research? This is where you tie in support from out textbook and possibly other sources as needed. This section should be substantive and thoughtful.
Dr. Carley Zanders – Psychology 1 – Research Paper Assignment
6. Furnish complete reference information in APA format for all references used including our textbook, which should be utilized for this assignment as well. There should be at least one in text citation for each article listed in your reference section. Articles not cited in your report should not be included in your reference section. Don’t forget to cite the article you are reporting on in the text, and include its reference.
• Paper must be from 5 7 pages. 12 font, double spaced and complete in Microsoft Word. Title page and reference page do not count in this number. Avoid bold.
• Cite properly throughout your report. Be sure to write your responses in essay form and use proper APA format for citations and references. This is a must and there are even examples provided below!
• Save document with title AND your name.
An example of the proper APA style, in text citation of our course textbook: (Myers and Dewall, 2017)
A reference to our course textbook looks like this:
Myers, D. G., & Dewall, C. N. (2017). Psychology in everyday life (Fourth ed.). Worth.
Assignment Rubric (300 points)
New York, NY, NY:
Provides intro including purpose and content of paper.
Offers thorough discussion of each question and includes integration of course concepts and theories from article and our textbook to back up thoughts, positions and assertions throughout paper.
Produces evidence of critical thinking, integrating examples from personal life and/or the lives of others with findings from article and our textbook to add meaning to the presented material.
Presents an essay that is well written and easy to follow (clear, well organized, substantive, and concise (not overly wordy but also substantive).
Composes thoughtful, substantive and well written conclusion.
Follows APA format (in text citations and references used as needed and substantively). Facts and assertions are well supported with scholarly works.
Length from 5 7 pages. 12 font, double spaced and completed in Microsoft Word.