Obesity Paper and Presentation (50 points)
This assignment is to help students gain a better understanding of obesity and its related diseases and disorders. Instructions: As a group, choose an obesity-related disease/disorder from the list below. Research your topic and write a 3-page group paper (pdf format, 1” margins, 12-point type font, double-spaced, essay format, references cited [APA format, separate page], list all student names in group in upper right-hand side of paper) addressing the following:
– Explain obesity (10 points)
– What is it?
– What are the causes for obesity?
– Who does it affect?
– How many people does it affect?
– Why is it a problem for people to be overweight/obese?
– Explain your selected disease/disorder (20 points)
– What is it?
– How is it related to being overweight/obese?
– Why is it a problem for people to have this issue?
– What treatment is available, if any.
As a group, you will be asked to present your findings of your selected disease/disorder with the class. (20 points) You will have 10-15 minutes to present. Everyone needs to speak. Visuals, such as PowerPoint, Prezi, videos, and/or posters, are required. If you choose to use a video, it needs to be used with another visual, ie PowerPoint. It can’t be the only visual your group uses.
Coronary heart disease
Type 2 diabetes
Cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon)
Hypertension (high blood pressure)
Dyslipidemia (for example, high total cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides)
Liver and Gallbladder disease
Sleep apnea and respiratory problems
Gynecological problems (abnormal menses, infertility)