OM Part 1 – Operations and Supply Chain Strategy (Due Date: see schedule)
In this section, you will identify and evaluate the operations strategy associated with this product. In addition, your product is supported by a supply chain that creates value by sourcing materials or external services and delivering the product to its customers. As part of this assignment, you will discuss the following:
- Core Competency(ies) – Restate the core competency(ies) from the Integration Company Strategy assignment.
- Competitive Priority(ies) – Identify and explain which of the following (one or more) competitive priorities the company uses to attract customers: low-cost, high-quality, speed of delivery, product flexibility, and/or value-added service.
- Strategic Framework – Based on the strategic frameworks presented in the textbook (Blue Ocean, Porter’s, and Treacy & Wiersema’s), state why the company has selected a particular strategy.
- Operations Strategy Aligned with the Company Strategy – Clearly show how the operations strategy (areas covered above), aligns with the company strategy (Integration Company Strategy assignment) and how the product creates value for customers.
- Competitors – Identify the overall strategy of two different competitors and how each is different or similar to the organization your team is researching.
- Type of Supply Chain – Identify the type of supply chain (i.e. Build-to-Stock, Assemble-to-Order, Build-to-Order, or Design-to-Order) that best supports its product in order to satisfy customers’ needs. You may need to create a hybrid of more than one supply chain. Also explain the stages of the supply chain used by the organization. Be sure to include all of the upstream and downstream stages.
- Supply Chain Diagram – Provide a diagram (attachment) that depicts the supply chain identified above.
- Supply Chain Alignment – Explain how the supply chain, identified and described above, aligns with the operations strategy.
- Key Components – Identify the product’s key components/inputs that are used to create the product.
- Outsourced Activities – Identify areas of the supply chain (upstream, internal processes, and downstream) that are outsourced.
- Potential Outsourced Activities – In addition to what is already outsourced, identify one or two activities of the organization that could also be outsourced and explain/justify your rationale for these decisions.
- Supply Chain and Corporate Social Responsibility – Identify and determine the degree to which your company’s product and supply chain is ecologically responsible and socially responsible.
Use the following information to ensure your paper is complete.
Cover Page – Include: product and company, assignment title, GB 214-(section number), team number, and team member names
Outline: Use the following outline as a template for your paper.
Paper (Number the pages of this section)
- Core Competencies
- Competitive Priorities
- Strategic Framework
- Operations Strategy Aligned with the Product
- Competitor 1
- Competitor 2
- Supply Chain
- Type of Supply Chain
- Key Components of the Product
- Operations Strategy Aligned with Company Strategy
- Outsourced Activities
- Supply Chain and Corporate Social Responsibility
Note: If specific information related to your product/company is not available, provide industry norms.
Works Cited Page: You must research this product and company and provide at least 5 properly cited sources.
Turnitin.com: Be sure to post your paper to turnitin.com, before the due date’s class session. You will find the link on the course website. Teams that are late in posting their paper to turnitin.com will receive a reduced grade.
Peer Evaluation: After each assignment, you are required to complete a peer evaluation in accordance with the instructor’s peer evaluation policy. Remember to honestly rate your teammates’ performance and communicate with them throughout the project.
Corner Clip: Please use a paper clip (not a staple) to hold the pages together.
- Page Length – 3 – 4 pages (not including cover page, works cited, strategy map, and other attachments—do not include page numbers on these parts of the paper).
- Font Size – 12 Point
- Margins – 1”
- Line Spacing – 1.5