Research on Cancer
Research on CANCER
• Competency 1: Describe the organization of the human body at increasingly complex levels.
o Describe cancer in biological terms at the levels of the cell.
o Describe the steps in the progress of a specific type of cancer.
• Competency 2: Explain homeostasis as it relates to human biology.
o Explain how cancer disrupts homeostasis.
• Competency 5: Evaluate the objectivity and legitimacy of biology information found in articles and online.
o Identify a quality and appropriate scientific information source on a biological topic.
• Competency 6: Apply biological concepts to factors related to human health.
o Describe lifestyle choices that might aid in the treatment or prevention of a specific type of cancer.
• Competency 7: Communicate effectively in a variety of formats.
o Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics including correct APA format and citations.
Fundamentally, cancer is a failure of the immune system. Cancer kills because it spreads and disturbs homeostasis. For this assignment, research and then describe a specific type of cancer of your choosing. You should complete the following for this assignment:
• Identify the type of cancer you are going to research. Generally, explain what it is and what part of the body it affects.
• Describe the cancer in biological terms at the level of the cell and at the level of the major organ system it affects.
• Explain the characteristics of cancer cells that distinguish them from normal cells.
• Consider how the disease affects the body as it progresses or spreads. What are some specific aspects of homeostasis that the spreading disease could affect? What self-regulating systems are upset because of this disease?
• Discuss the therapies available for treatment of this specific type of cancer.
• Discuss the lifestyle choices that might aid in prevention or treatment of this type of cancer.
In order to complete the assignment, you will need to find quality, appropriate, and credible outside resources that provides research on a specific type of cancer. Places where you can find these types of sources would be the Capella library and sometimes the Internet. Complete the following steps in preparation to completing your assignment:
12. Review Chapter 11 of your Visualizing Human Biology text, and choose the specific type of cancer you will be researching for this assignment.
13. Review “Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust” from this unit’s readings, which will help you prepare for this paper. This resource from CAPHIS will be of particular help in selecting the sources.
14. Select the sources you want to use for your assignment. Note: Your sources should be reliable. Points will be deducted for citing unreliable sources such as Wikipedia, unless otherwise specified by your instructor. These types of sites have user-generated content and can be useful as starting points for your research. The reason they are considered unreliable is that they are not peer-reviewed and, in the case of Wikipedia, anyone can add an entry or change an entry. Hence, these types of sources should not be cited in college-level research papers. However, you may find Wikipedia useful in finding other resources and links that are reputable and reliable. You will find these listed at the end of the entries.
Prior to submitting, read the Researching Cancer Scoring Guide to ensure you have met all of the requirements for the assignment.
Note: If you would like to take advantage of peer feedback before you submit this assignment, post your paper in the optional discussion in this unit. Provide questions, issues, or difficulties you may want your peers to specifically look at.