You are the manager of the HIM department in a large physician clinic. The practice includes 45 primary care and specialty physicians and 3 nurse practitioners plus numerous medical office assistants and clerical staff. You want to measure how well the HIM department is meeting the needs of physicians and other people who work at the clinic. To do this, you want to develop a survey instrument to include ten questions that allows you to find out answers to common concerns (see examples below to get you started:
Is the HIM department responding promptly to requests for information? If not, what types of requests are HIM employees slow to respond to?
Are HIM department employees courteous in their interactions with physicians and people who work in the clinic? If not, what opportunities for improvement exist?
You know that people are busy and won’t complete a long survey. Therefore, you’ll want to gather as much information as possible using a short electronic survey instrument.
Create a survey instrument to gather information for this performance measurement project.
To do/ to be submitted:
. 1) Sign up for the free use of survey monkey at the following site:
2) Construct a ten question item electronic survey.
3) Submit the completed survey link to the faculty for grading.
Part II: Quality of Life Measurement Instruments
Project Description: Survey instruments are often used to gather information from patients about their general health status and health-related quality of life. These surveys ask people questions about their physical functioning, social functioning, role functioning, mental health, and general health perceptions (e.g., vitality, pain, cognitive functioning). In this project you’ll identify sources of quality of life survey instruments and describe the quality dimensions being measured by the surveys.
Assume you are the quality manager at a large orthopedic clinic. The medical director wants to measure the quality of life for patients with back pain that are being treated conservatively (no surgical procedures). The director wants to send a survey to these patients to measure their quality of life at six and twelve months following their first clinic visit for treatment of back pain.
Search the internet to identify two measurement instruments that could be used to measure to the quality of life for patients with back pain who are being rerated conservatively.
For each instrument, specify the name of the developer and the various dimensions of quality of life that the instrument measures.
To be submitted:
1. Two measurement instruments
• For each project, a bibliography/references identifying all sources used, including persons interviewed or surveyed must be included.
• All projects must be submitted via TRACS (NOT the instructor’s e-mail).
• Read the instructions for each project carefully. For questions, seek clarification from the instructor noted for each project.
• Review textbooks, literature and where applicable, speak to professionals in the field to complete these projects. Each resource used is to be included in the bibliography.
• All work must be neatly typed, grammatically correct and contain no typographical errors. The student’s work should be impeccable. Poorly prepared, written and/or constructed projects will be graded accordingly or not accepted.
Category: Health Care and Life Sciences