Throughout this course, we have learned that the primary mode of subsistence (how a culture makes a living) impacts many other aspects of cultural behavior and has been an effective way to organize thoughts and studies about culture.
In order to demonstrate your understanding of subsistence modes and its impact on a culture and why a culture acts as it does, your final research paper will require you to:
1. Select a specific culture from the following list:
· The Batek ofMalaysia
· Huaorani ofEcuador
· Nayar ofIndia
· Tikopia ofMelanesia
· Basseri of Iran
1. Use a minimum of three scholarly research journals, ethnographies and ethnologies as the primary sources of information.
2. Identify and classify the selected culture’s primary mode of subsistence. ( Foragers, Horticulturalists, Pastoralists, Emerging Agriculturalists, AgrarianStatesor Industrialists)
3. Analyze and explain the impact that the primary mode of subsistence of the selected culture has on at least three of the following aspects of culture:
· Social organization
· Political organization
· Economic organization
· Gender relations
· Beliefs and Values
· Sickness and Healing
· Social Change
The Final Cultural Research Paper must be eight to ten pages long and formatted according to APA (6th edition) standards. You may use the text as a source, but the text does not count toward the required three scholarly journal articles/ ethnographies/ ethnologies.
In Week Three, you are required to submit an introductory paragraph, thesis statement, an outline, and your properly formatted reference page with the required sources identified. At this point, you should have chosen your culture and identified its primary mode of subsistence.
Writing the Final Cultural Research Paper
The Research Paper:
· Must be eight double-spaced pages in length and formatted according to APA (6th ed.) style as outlined in the approved APA style guide.
· Must include a cover page that includes:
· Title of paper
· Student’s name
· Course name and number
· Instructor’s name
· Date submitted
Must include an introductory paragraph with a succinct thesis statement.
Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought. Must conclude with a restatement of the thesis and a conclusion paragraph. Must use at least three scholarly research journals, ethnographies and ethnologies, two of which can be found in the Ashford Online Library.Must use APA (6th ed.) style as outlined in the approved APA style guide to document all sources. Must include, on the final page, a
Reference Page that is completed according to APA (6th ed.) style as outlined in the approved APA style guide. Must include parenthetical text citations for direct quotes and paraphrased material.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.