UNIT 2: Training Development Assignment
In your Chapter reading, you were introduced to employee training. Training and development is an extremely important aspect of employee retention as well as creating a knowledgeable workforce. If employees are not trained properly, they feel a sense of frustration which can result in a lack of motivation. Your Unit 2 assignment will focus on properly developing training to be engaging and meaningful. You will use the information provided in the two folders as a guide in construct a training outline.
- View the videos in the above folder to gain a better understanding of how to properly conduct and interview and how not to. Additionally, to learn more about what you can and can’t ask a candidate
- View the information in the above folder and read about the Gagne Model for Effective Design. Also view the sample training outline to use as a guide in constructing your own training outline.
- Construct a training outline over the topic of “How to Properly Conduct an Interview and What to Avoid Asking”
- Construct the training from information provided in the interview videos as well as in your textbook.
- Construct your training outline using Gagne’s 9 Steps to Effective Design as well as using the Sample I provided as a guide
- When you have completed the assignment, use this link to submit your work
- Have fun with this assignment. Remember how it feels to sit through a poor ineffective training that you do not get anything out of. This is your opportunity to change that. Have fun and be creative.
- Last bit of advice: Schedule Breaks. I typically go by the rule “Learning stops when the butt goes numb”. This means, after about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes, the brain enters a stage of information dump through the cognitive channels. The brain has obtained so much information at this point that it literally begins to dump information from its short-term memory stores instead of maintaining it. This is also the stage when you notice people moving around in their seats. Give them a break at least every hour and 15 minutes.
- Training Development: Interview Do’s and Don’ts
- Video How Not to Conduct an Interview – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXiuTME9WW8&feature=youtu.be
- Video Bad Interview – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm1eAOzMy8k&feature=youtu.be
- Video 5 Common Mistakes Managers make when Conducting Job Interviews – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eUTQwmmIGU&feature=youtu.be
- Video Tips for Conducting an Interview – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blSykLIsp4o&feature=youtu.be
- Video How to Conduct an Interview – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Rii8wfHYY&feature=youtu.be
- Video Illegal Questions – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNVDpQDdrYI&feature=youtu.be
- Video Legal vs. Illegal Interview Questions – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ud7-CvZd2E&feature=youtu.be
- Article What to ask and not to ask – https://www.livecareer.com/interview/questions
- Gagne’s Model for Instructional Design and Outline Sample
- When it comes to designing effective training, there many theories and strategies that have evolved over the years. One of the most practiced and recognized in the field of instructional design is the Gagne 9-step approach to effective design. One thing to keep in mind when developing training, is instructional design. We have all sat through the endless lectures which are supposed to be training sessions where we have to basically pry our eyes open with tooth picks to stay awake. Let us not forget the Power Point by death training sessions, where he presenter stands at the front of the room and basically reads from the slides to you…how is that effective training? What are people supposed to be getting out of training sessions such as those? How can training be effective, if your audience is tuned out? This is where are start to think of training development in terms of: How do we capture the audience from the beginning, How do we keep their attention, how do we get the audience involved in the training, what are the warning signs to watch for to tell when you are losing your audience. We are going to start by exploring the nine steps of the Gagne method and use it as our guide in developing a training outline.
- Article Gagne’s Model for Instructional Design – http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/learning/id/nine_step_id.html
- Article (pdf) Gagne Method of Effective Training – https://wbu.blackboard.com/bbcswebdav/pid-1698551-dt-content-rid-14407366_1/courses/MGMT3324SUMMR-CMP2018VC01/The%20Gagne%20method%20of%20effective%20training.pdf
- Sample Outline – https://wbu.blackboard.com/bbcswebdav/pid-1698553-dt-content-rid-14407367_1/courses/MGMT3324SUMMR-CMP2018VC01/Sample%20Training%20Outline.pdf
UNIT 2 Training Method Assignment
In Chapter reading, you were introduced to training methods. For this assignment, you will be asked to research the internet for information. Please remember the word “discuss” refers to writing in detail in paragraph format. I am looking for detail in your answers.
- Discuss and compare the Gagne’s Method of Effective Training (http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/learning/development.html) with the ADDIE Instructional Design Model (http://www.intulogy.com/addie/).
- Discuss how they are similar
- Discuss how they differ
- In your research, which method do feel would be more effective for your business? WHY?
Be sure to cite the sources you use for this discussion in APA 6th ed. format.