Vulnerable Population Advocacy Organization Paper Assignment
The goal of this assignment is for you to become familiar with the kinds of professional organizations that advocate for vulnerable populations. This written (minimum 4 page) assignment will introduce you to some of the local, regional, national, federal and private organizations/agencies that advocate for vulnerable populations.
- Select a local advocacy organization or an organization of interest to you in the Chicagoland area (i.e. Chicago Coalition for the Homeless, Alzheimer’s Association, AARP, The ARC of Illinois, Illinois Coalition for Immigrant & Refugee Rights, National Alliance on Mental Illness-Illinois, Voices for Children, Ounce of Prevention, etc…)
- After selecting the advocacy organization you are to provide a written summary/assessment of the organization. The summary should include:
- The vulnerable population that the organization serves
- The mission of the organization
- The goal(s) of the organization
- Assessment strategy of the organization (how does the organization determine if they are meeting their goals?)
- Assess organization using the 3 factors:
- Validity/Reliability/Effectiveness—i.e. is what the organization doing valid and reliable? Look at outcomes, any research completed, are they using evidenced-based practice, etc…
- Scope and reach—i.e who are the intended consumers of the organization, how far do they reach (only serve Chicago, or is a statewide organization)
- Sustainability—how is the organization funded? Do they appear to be financially stable?
- Discuss a regional and national organization/agency that advocates for the selected vulnerable population. Provide a brief description of each regional (Midwest) and national organization (make sure that you are referencing your sources!).
- Connect your identified organization to either the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) (http://www.rwjf.org) or Healthy People 2020. Make sure you answer the following questions in regards to RWJF:
- Describe the mission and goals of the organization.
- Identify and describe a program provided by the organization that addresses your selected vulnerable populations (if applicable).
- List and discuss programs that focus on opportunities for better health and outcomes of your selected vulnerable population.
- Discuss your reasons for selecting the specific programs.
OR the following questions in regards to Healthy People 2020:
- Describe the mission and overarching goals of Healthy People 2020.
- Find the focus area(s) of Healthy People 2020 that closely addresses your selected vulnerable population.
- Identify one topic area that interests you the most and discuss how it relates to your selected vulnerable population and your reasons for selecting that topic area.
The assignment should be written in APA format (minimum 4 pages: cover page and reference page is not inclusive in the 4 pages), double-spaced, Times New Roman, font 12 (or similar). Points will be deducted if you do not reach the minimum page requirement or follow the instructions of the assignment. Make sure you cover all sections of the assignment. This is a formal paper, therefore the use of first person is not acceptable!
The assignment must be submitted online through assignment submission link in Sakai.
Reminder: points will be deducted for late assignments. I will accept them via email if late (it is better to turn in something, instead of nothing).