WEEK 9 HOMEWORK – CHAPTERS 12 & 13
Please note: There are two chapters for this week. You need to only anwer 5 questions total. Therefor, you will need to pic some from the first chapter and some from the second chapter. Remember: You only have to answer 5 total between the two chapters!
1. A school district has forecast student enrollment for several years into the future and predicts excess capacity for 2000 students. The school board has said that the only alternative is to close a school. Evaluate.
2. Why are facilities decisions often made by top management? What is the role in these decisions of operations, marketing, finance, accounting, engineering, and human resources?
3. In what ways does corporate strategy affect capacity decisions?
4. S&OP or aggregate planning sometimes is confused with scheduling. What is the difference?
5. What problems are created by simultaneously considering the capacity questions of how much, how large, where, when, and what type?
1. What types of scheduling decisions is management likely to encounter in the following operations? Describe the scheduling decisions in terms of the types of resources to be scheduled and the associated customers or jobs scheduled.
d. Make-to-order factory
2. Specify the kinds of objectives that might be appropriate for each of the situations listed in question one.
3. How is the scheduling of patients in a doctor’s clinic similar to or different from the scheduling of jobs in a factory?
4. Describe the differences between Gantt charting, FCS, and the theory of constraints.
5. What is the goal as stated by the theory of constraints (TOC), and how is that goal achieved?