What is the philosopher’s
- How would you describe your ‘self’?
- In what ways has your ‘self’ changed during the course of your life?
- In what ways has your ‘self’ remained the same during the course of your life?
- Do you agree with Socrates/Plato that our psyche/soul/self is divisible into three parts? Why or why not?
- Of the three parts, reason, physical, and spirited, which part influences your thoughts and actions the most?
- Do you agree with Plato that the ‘reason’ part should keep the ‘physical and spiritual’ parts in check?
- Do you agree with Descartes’ understanding of the ‘self’ as reducible to mere mental operations such as understanding, doubting, affirming, denying, willing, refusing, feeling and imagining?
- How do you understand the word ‘consciousness’?
- How do you understand the terms ‘person’ and ‘personal identity’?
10. What do you think is the relationship between your consciousness and your thinking process?
- What role do pictures play in understanding yourself
- What role do memories play in understanding yourself
- What role of stories of our past play in understanding yourself