Final Project TOPIC Selection Instructions
Final Project TOPIC Selection Instructions
*You must use the template provided in week 4 when submitting your topic.
Unapproved topic selections may have a negative impact on your grade.
- There is no grade for this assignment. The scoring is approved or not approved. Ignore the percentages associated with the score.
- You will find the comments and be approved or not, in your grade book or within the forum you submitted your document to, you can use either one to view. If you are to communicate any further questions with your Academic Coach or instructor regarding your topic selection you MUST do this in the forum, not via email.
- No late submissions will be accepted.
- Please do not use any facility names in your document for confidentiality purposes.
Topics that will not be approved:
Any staffing related issues, any hospital policies such as visiting hours, any medication involved policies….your topic must be strictly a nursing issue only. For example:
*A problem that is medical in nature and requires a physician’s approval to change the practice or implement a new policy.
*The nursing shortage cannot be addressed by a Nurse Manager without the approval of layers of individuals all the way up to the CNO or CEO or their designee.
* Staffing acuity cannot be adequately addressed to fix a problem without layers of individuals to approve the process.
1. Demonstrate the ability to identify a quality improvement need.
2. Demonstrate the ability identify the appropriate target population for the need.
3. Assess the target populations needs (nursing staff) regarding the identified quality improvement.
4. Discuss the appropriate process for developing the policy related to the quality improvement.
5. Identify the appropriate chain of command for implementing a policy regarding the quality improvement process.
6. Discuss the appropriate timeline and chain of command for evaluating and revising the policy related to the quality improvement process.
Look around your place of work. There are usually many procedures and policies regulating the actions of staff for patient safety. Polices attempt to standardize care and help drive positive outcomes for the organization and most importantly for the patients. Policies are stated in the absolute; shall or will. They are directives. Your organization will have several policies. In this course, you are to explore the process required in developing good policies and getting them implemented. This is similar to the process for developing laws as explained in your textbook. Think of the nursing process: Assess, Diagnose, Plan, Implement, and Evaluate. In developing a policy, nurses follow this pattern. In this assignment, you will delineate this process for a particular nursing topic.
Final Project Instructions:
Your assignment is to write a paper on how you would develop a policy (new or revised policy) to address an issue identified in a practice setting:
A) You may use as many references as you need to for this document to bring the best EBP to yourproject.
- B) This writing assignment should adhere to APAstyle and be uploaded in WORD format only. Do NOT upload your document as a PDF.
- C) Project must be between 3-5 pages not including the title page and reference list.
- D) All references must be current within 5 years old and articles from the US.
**Please do not use any facility names in your document for confidentiality purposes.
1) You are to delineate processes for getting the policy adopted and implemented within that practice setting. Using these “steps” as headings for your paper elaborated on the required items listed here.
2) The introduction is to cover basic information about the topic supported by research and the need for such a policy. Consider and include, at a minimum, potential issues related to safety, culture, collaboration, finances, information management, and resource utilization, if applicable, when writing this assignment.
A. Who are the people directly addressed in the policy? Includes internal and external people:
Internal=Within the organization.
External=Those coming into the organization such as vendors.
B. What are the needs/wants of the identified people? How will you identify their needs/wants?
C. How will the policy respond to their needs/wants? What does the policy and/or procedure provide for these people?
D. What processes and/or procedures will be needed to produce results to meet the need for the identified people.
E. Who will be responsible for implementing this policy – What is your institution’s process for policy development and revision?
3) You must follow the steps identified above and support your narrative (paper) with evidence from the scholarly nursing literature. Use headings in your paper to indicate section topics.
4) This assignment must be submitted via Turnitin on the Moodle home page. Always check that your submission was uploaded properly and do not wait until the last minute to upload your document.