Explain how psychosocial influences that occur over the life continuum affect the health status of adults in society
Nursing Adults with Long Term Conditions.
This module aim is to develop the ability to use both pathophysiological and psychosocial theory to underpin a comprehensive and holistic assessment of the health needs of adults with long term health problems.
Module Aims and Learning Outcomes
The aims of this module are to enable students to:
? Develop knowledge of the underpinning anatomy physiology and pathophysiology of a range of long term conditions
? Explain how psychosocial influences that occur over the life continuum affect the health status of adults in society
? Apply fundamental psychosocial evidence and theories to the effective understanding of the health and social care needs of individuals with long term conditions and use this knowledge to inform appropriate interventions
Learning Outcomes: Knowledge and Understanding
Successful students will typically be able to:
? Explain the pathophysiological changes that occur as a result of long term health problems
? Demonstrate an understanding of the pivotal role of communication in continuing care
? Explain the relationship between attitudinal development and belief systems to the individuals perception and responses to their health circumstances
? Analyse the role of life events and lifestyles in terms of health status and coping strategies
Learning Outcomes: Skills and Attributes
Successful students will typically:
? Relate psychosocial influential factors to the existing and/ or future health status of individuals or communities
? Recognise and evaluate the effectiveness of coping strategies used by individuals to manage life stressors
? Select appropriate strategies to assess the physical, psychosocial and sociological status of the patient with chronic illness and plan appropriate nursing care to meet identified needs.
Learning and research skills
The students will be encouraged to search for, explore and utilise professional literature and current research to support the evidence base for Nursing Adults with Long Term Conditions with regard to the Module learning outcomes.
Intellectual depth, breadth and adaptability
The focus is for individualised care for Adults living with Long Term Conditions which may beadapted to be effective in which ever environment nursing care is delivered.
The next pages contain the remit and information for the formative and summative assessments. Further information will be given in class as to how the content of each session relates therefore attendance is important.
Please read the following pages very carefully and be aware that the requirements change with each delivery of the Module.
An exploring of Nursing Care for a Patient from practice living with a Long Term Condition; using the Portfolio template provided(4,500 words, +/ – 10%)
? The work needs to follow the Portfolio template to explore and discuss the nursing care for a patient encountered in practice with a Long Term Condition to meet the learning outcomes
? The focus needs to be on a patient living with a Long Term Condition in a non-acute environment. (Confidentiality must be stated and maintained)
The tableoverleafprovides an overview of The Portfolio Contents
All sections will need to be completed to meet all of the learning outcomes (The word counts in italics are suggestions to help guide you)
The information is repeated on the Portfolio Template in Blue and it is suggested that you delete that prior to submission
Contents for each section of the Portfolio Suggested Approx. Word count
Section 1: Introductions
Thissection must include:
• An Introduction to the work
• An introduction to the patient that the portfolio will focus on and the setting in which the patient was encountered
• Citation to state and maintain confidentiality
Section 2: Policy Background
This section must include:
• A discussion of current government policy with regard to caring for Adults with Long Term Conditions
• Consideration of how it might influence the nursing care of the patient living with a long term condition
Section 3: Pathophysiology Poster
A poster explaining pathophysiological changes from the normal anatomy and physiology, as a result of the particular Long Term Condition that are causing the problems/ symptoms that the patient has. (You may insert up to three images to support your discussion points. All images used must include a citation and be included in your reference list to avoid infringement of copyright.)
Section 4: Assessmentof the patients Nursing Needs
Thissection must include:
• A discussion of the Nursing Process
• An exploration of assessment as the first stage of that process
• Exploration of a nursing assessment framework (for example: Activities of Daily Living) that helps to provide a systematic process
• Identification and discussion of two key areas (activities) of the framework that the patient has reduced independence for and explore in depth nursing assessment of them
• Discussion of ‘tools’ that may be used to enhance assessment
• A particular focus on the patient’s ability to self-carewith discussion of the nurse and patient working in partnership to explore the self-care needs of the patient.
• Assessment which identifies and explores the patient’s physical, psychological and social needs with regard to each ‘Activity’
• Consideration of attitude and/or beliefs and lifestyle factors.
Section 5: Planning Nursing Care for the patient
Thissection needs to be a discussion/ analysis of:
• The care and/or services planned for the patient
• It needs to demonstrate a clear flow from the assessment so that the care provided meets the patients physical, psychological and social needs identified from the assessment. There needs to be a clear evidence base and analysis of the care planned
• The impact or potential impact on the patients ability to self-care and cope with the care planned (or not)
• How the nurse facilitated, for example, educational needs, empowerment and/or concordance
Section 6: Reflecting on Communication strategies used for nursing this patient
Think back over the nursing care for the patient explored in this portfolio, this section must include:
• Discussion and exploration of the particular communication strategies used by the nurse with the patient and/or their carers; to include strengths and limitations
• Discussion of communication throughout the two stages of the nursing process
The reference list must follow the current guidelines and match the citations used and visa-versa.
Suggested Reading List
Carrier, J. (2009) Managing LTC, chronic illness in Primary Care a guide to good practice.
Dimond, B. (2011) Legal Aspects of Nursing (6thed.) Harlow: Pearson Education**
Dougherty,L. and Lister, S. (eds.) (2011) The Royal Marsden Hospital Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures, Student Edition, (8thed.) London: Wiley-Blackwell **
Kraszewski,S. and McKewen, A (2010) Communication Skills for Adult Nurses McGraw Hill, OpenUniversity Press**
Maltby, J. Day, L. and Macsakill, A. (2007), Personality, Individual Differences and Intelligence, Harlow:Pearson Education**
McCabe, C. and Timmins, F. (2006) Communication Skills for Nursing Practice Palgrave Macmillan
Meerabeau, L and Wright, K (2011) Long Term Conditions: Nursing Care and Management Wiley-Blackwell **
Morrison, V. and Bennett, P (2009) An Introduction to Health Psychology Pearson Prentice Hall, Harlow **
Nursing Midwifery Council (2008) The Code: standards of conduct, performance and ethics for nurses and midwives London: NMC
Peate, I. (2010) Nursing care and the activities of living Electronic Resource: Wiley-Blackwell**
Randall, S and Ford, H (2011) Long Term Conditions: A Guide for Nurses and Healthcare
Standing, M (2011) Clinical Judgement and Decision Making in Nursing and Inter-professional Health care Learning Matters **
United Kingdom Department of Health (2003) National Service framework for diabetes HMSO
United Kingdom Department of Health (2005) NationalService Framework for Long Term ConditionsHMSO
Upton, D. (2010) Introducing Psychology for Nurses and Healthcare Professionals, Harlow:Pearson Education**
Journal of Advanced Nursing
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH best homeworkhelp TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT
The post Explain how psychosocial influences that occur over the life continuum affect the health status of adults in society appeared first on best homeworkhelp.