Current and emerging technologies in healthcare provide nurses with the opportunity to improve patient outcomes through ever-increasing access to data and evidence. Information support systems affect decisions made at both the point of care and the organizational levels. Nurses who are prepared at the master’s level fill a key role in leading unit and organizational change that incorporates these emerging technologies to promote patient safety and enhance quality of care.
You are an informatics nurse specialist working in a healthcare organization that is merging with another organization of comparable size. As a result of the merger, funds have been designated to offer services in a satellite facility. You are responsible to lead the project committee in the selection of a common health information system (HIS) that meets current HITECH and HIPAA Security and Privacy regulatory requirements
Your submission must be your original work. No more than a combined total of 30% of the submission and no more than a 10% match to any one individual source can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly. Use the Turnitin Originality Report available in Taskstream as a guide for this measure of originality.
You must use the rubric to direct the creation of your submission because it provides detailed criteria that will be used to evaluate your work. Each requirement below may be evaluated by more than one rubric aspect. The rubric aspect titles may contain hyperlinks to relevant portions of the course.
A. Choose a real-life health information system and analyze the system by doing the following:
1. Summarize the advantages and disadvantages of the system you selected, including the following:
2. Describe how the selected system will affect patient care and documentation.
3. Explain how using the selected system to access information will affect the quality and delivery of nursing care and patient outcomes.
B. Discuss how the selected system will benefit the organization by addressing the following:
1. Provide two ways that quality improvement (QI) data collected from the selected system can lead to measurable improvement in health care services and the health status of targeted patient groups.
2. Explain how the system will meet HITECH and HIPAA security standards and regulations, including the following:
• data storage integrity
• data backup and recovery
3. Explain how the selected system will protect patient privacy.
4. Describe how adopting the selected system will improve organizational efficiency and productivity by addressing the following factors to the organization, including the following:
• standardizing documentation
• reducing waste
• increasing productivity
• human and capital resource
C. Describe four essential stakeholder roles needed to form an interdisciplinary team to work on the selected system implementation, including the following:
• each team member’s title in the organization
• each team member’s role in the implementation of the selected health information system
• each team member’s expertise and how it contributes to the success of the project
D. Discuss your plan for evaluating the success of the implementation of the selected system by incorporating two professional organization standards.