Both linocut and ukiyo-e are forms of relief printmaking, and below you will find an example of each. For this week’s discussion, please choose one visual element and one design principle to compare in these two works.
Pablo Picasso, Portrait of a Woman after Cranach the Younger, Spanish, 1958, linocut, Tate Modern.
Tsukioka Yoshitoshi, Waking Up: A Girl of the Kōka Era (1844-1848), Japanese, 1888, woodblock print, ink and color on paper, Met Museum
Choose a work of art from your reading (Chapters 8, 12, and 14 section [pages 220-226] in Prebles’ Artforms). Respond to this work of art in 4-6 complete sentences.
Consider these questions:
· How would you describe the work of art?
· What visual elements or design principles do you notice? Explain.
· What do you like about it?
· What don’t you like about it?
· Does this create any emotional or mental response for you?
· What artistic aspects appeal to you?
Grade is based on your ability to write complete, cogent sentences, and your ability to analyze the work in a comprehensive manner.