Discussion – Week 4COLLAPSE
Wrapping Up Your Short Story
Having learned how to incorporate different techniques of development and elements of creative writing into your short story during the first three weeks, it is now time to think about adding the finishing touches and polishing it. How will you conclude your story and what should you consider as you revise the story with help from your peers? In this Discussion, you will reflect on the conversation that takes place among the different components of a short story and the impact rewriting can have.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the assigned portions of Chapters 8, 11, and 12 in Shaping the Story.
- Review “Not Even Angels Are Immortal,” by Jeremy Blodgett, and “The Traveler,” by Wallace Stegner, in Shaping the Story.&νβσπ;
- Reflect on the ways that writers create smooth connections among the elements of the story.
- How might you use the same strategies for your story?
- How might you identify these patterns in your peers’ stories?
Consider how the authors begin and end their stories.
- What kinds of introductions and conclusions have you seen demonstrated so far?
- Think about how each author uses language to bring her short story to life.
- Consider the questions in Shaping the Story, Chapter 12, that may help you identify areas to revise in your short story.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day 3 2 to 3 paragraphs analyzing the effects of the revision process on writing a suitable ending to your story. Include the answer to the following question:
- How does the process of revising affect creativity and why?
- What techniques did your observe in the stories this week that you could use in your own story?
- Be sure to cite at least two examples from your readings.
Be sure to support your ideas by connecting them to the week’s Learning Resources, or something you have read, heard, seen, or experienced.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.
Respond by Day 5 to at least one of your colleague’s postings in one or more of the following ways:
- Ask a probing question.
- Share an insight from having read your colleague’s posting.
- Offer and support an opinion.
- Validate an idea with your own experience.
- Make a suggestion.
- Expand on your colleague’s posting.
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you have learned and/or any insights you have gained as a result of the comments your colleagues made.
“Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!”
The post Post by Day 3 2 to 3 paragraphs analyzing the effects of the revision process on writing a suitable ending to your story. Include the answer to the following question: first appeared on nursing writers.
The post Post by Day 3 2 to 3 paragraphs analyzing the effects of the revision process on writing a suitable ending to your story. Include the answer to the following question: appeared first on nursing writers.