Written Assignment – Models of Aging
• Minimum of 6 pages in length, not including a title or reference page formatted in APA style.
• A minimum of 10 inline citations are required; while the textbook may be used, include at least 3 additional
scholarly sources (e.g., peer-reviewed journal articles) you find relevant to the paper topic.
• Please see rubric for additional grading details.
Think about the older adults in your life, as well the theories and research reviewed in the course concerning
physical, motor, cognitive, social, emotional, and moral development in each life phase. When you consider
these “models of aging,” what comes to mind?
For this signature assignment, choose 1-2 individuals to interview and gather information about the following:
• Historical events and/or factors occurring in any life stage that impact(ed) their aging process
• Interpersonal experiences occurring in any life stage that impact(ed) their aging process
• Educational and career choices and experiences occurring in any life stage that impact(ed) their aging
• Physical, cognitive and/or other health factors and/or changes occurring in any life stage that impact(ed)
their aging process.
Then, address all of the following in your final paper:
• Briefly describe who your models are and how they are aging.
• What events and experiences occurring earlier in life impacted their development in late life? What
linkages do you see?
• How do the influences of gender, SES, educational level, sociability, ability level, physical and/or cognitive
health, among others, contribute to their aging processes?
• Which social theories of aging are embodied by your model(s)? Provide examples.
• How have the model(s) influenced your perspective on and approach to aging?