4—5 pages + bibliography and title page, double-spaced, font size 12, APA essay format
Approach: Select one of the media articles below and identify the Canadian policies being discussed. Using an intersectional analysis of race, class, sexuality, gender, citizenship, and other social and political locations, complete a critical analysis of the emerging discourses across the policies discussed in relation to Canada as a white-settler society. Refer to course themes and assigned readings to guide you. Cite assigned readings where they inform your analysis, a minimum of 2 assigned readings MUST be integrated. Additionally, 3 referred journal articles MUST be discussed to bring depth and clarification to your analysis and content. Ensure that you develop an outline to guide your assignment. Your assignment will be evaluated based on:
· the development and presentation of argumentation including the thesis statement
· self-contained, topically divided, coherent and thematic paragraphs
· the use of a minimum of 5 scholarly sources readings as references (minimum 2 assigned readings and 3 referred journal articles)
· the integration and substantiation of original, thoughtful ideas
· an intersectional analysis of power relations (patriarchy, colonialism, capitalism)
Assignments should reflect creative analysis, depth, and breadth of course materials, effective
substantiation of points, coherence, and originality.
There should be 5 parts to your assignment:
1. Title Page indicating the course name, number, and section; your name; your student number; and the title of your paper.
2. Introduction with a clear thesis statement and theoretical framework.
3. Body, clearly organized and well-developed paragraphs. This part of the paper should largely focus on the history and complexity of the policy considering nation-building process of gendered, racialized, and class power relations.
4. Conclusion in which you tie together the thesis of your paper with a brief summary of supporting evidence and analysis.
5. References demonstrating resources cited in your paper. Do not include sources that are not cited in your assignement.
1. INDIAN ACT – RESIDENTIAL SCHOOL
Title: “At least 3,000 died in residential schools, research shows”
Source: The Canadian Press – February 18, 2013
2. DOMESTIC WORKERS / TEMPORARY FOREIGN WORKER PROGRAM
Title: “Migrant workers call on Trudeau to reform Temporary Foreign Worker Program”
Source: National Observer – March 10, 2016 (Elizabeth McSheffrey)
3. EUGENICS AND STERILIZATION LAWS
Title: “Alberta woman who successfully sued province for wrongful sterilization dies
I really couldn`t do anything”
Source: Global News – March 16, 2016 (Gwen Dambrofsky)
4. SOLITARY CONFINEMENT
Title: “Canada’s solitary-confinement laws are unconstitutional, Ontario judge rules”
Source: The Globe and Mail – December 18, 2017 (Patrick White)
5. TENANCY RIGHTS
Title: “Falling through the tenancy cracks”
Source: The Coast – August 31, 2017 (Kieran Leavitt)